Alvan Fisher Personal Papers (SC-33)
The collection documents the relationship between the equestrian artist Alvan Fisher and one of his patrons, New York lawyer and horse breeder Charles Henry Hall. The letters discuss the likenesses of the horses Fisher painted, as well as upcoming races, and the noted 19th century racehorse American Eclipse.
- Fisher, Alvan, 1792-1863 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research. The digital collection can be accessed through the VMFA Collections Search website.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection is in the public domain.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 box; 2 folders (10 items))
Language of Materials
The collection is organized into two series, and items are generally arranged chronologically within each series. Items with no date are generally placed at the end at each series.
- Series 1
- Correspondence, 1822-1823, undated
- Series 2
- Clippings, 1852
The collection was donated by Mr. T. Kenneth Ellis in 1976 when he gifted six paintings by Alvan Fisher to the museum.
- American Eclipse (Race horse), 1814-1847 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Boston (Mass.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Charleston (S.C.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Dedham (Mass.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Engraving, American. 19th century Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Fisher, Alvan, 1792-1863
- Hall, Charles Henry, 1781-1852
- Harlem (New York, N.Y.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Horses in art Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Painting, American. 19th century Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Finding Aids to Special Collections in the VMFA Archives | Alvan Fisher Personal Papers
- Special Collection 33 (SC-33)
- Courtney Yevich Tkacz, VMFA Archivist
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Archives Repository
Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library
200 N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard
Richmond VA 23220-4007 United States