Records of the Curatorial Department (RG-03)
- 1928-2019 [minimally processed; subject to change]
Access - Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
The collection is minimally unprocessed. Requests to perform research must be submitted to the VMFA Archives at least one business day in advance.
As custodians of public records, VMFA only restricts access to public records when sensitive information is present. Such restrictions are applied in accordance with the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia, § 2.2-3700 thru § 2.2-3714) and the Government Data Collection and Dissemination Practices Act (Code of Virginia, § 2.2-3800 thru § 2.2-3809).
Access - Library of Virginia
The collection is open for research.
The collection is subject to all copyright laws. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright, beyond that allowed by fair use, requires the researcher to obtain permission of copyright holders.
195 Linear Feet (143 boxes; 4,328 folders) : VMFA Holdings
13.75 Linear Feet (16 boxes; 57 folders ) : Library of Virginia Holdings
Language of Materials
The collection is organized into five series. Series 1 is divided into sub-series by curator, arranged chronologically by when the curator joined the museum staff. Series 2 is divided into sub-series by collection, arranged chronologically by when the collection was accessioned.
- Series 1
- Curator Files, 1962-2014, undated
- Series 2
- Collection Files, 1963-1996, undated
- Series 3
- Subject Files, 1928-2009, undated
- Series 4
- Institute for Contemporary Art (ICA), 1976-1999, undated
- Series 5
- Declined Accessions, undated
The collection was transferred from the Curatorial Department through periodic deposits since 1987.
- Finding Aids to the Institutional Records of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in the VMFA Archives | Records of the Curatorial Department
- Record Group 03 (RG-03)
- Courtney Yevich Tkacz, VMFA Archivist
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Archives Repository
Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library
200 N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard
Richmond VA 23220-4007 United States