Records of the Camera Club of Richmond (SC-22)
Scope and Contents
The collection is comprised of 117 mounted prints housed in 3 Fiberbilt and 2 William Schuessler print shipping cases. If no date was included in the description, the date on the Camera Club submission label was used. All images are black and white unless otherwise noted.
- 1920-1972, undated
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection is subject to all copyright laws. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright, beyond that allowed by fair use, requires the researcher to obtain permission of copyright holders.
On June 16, 1932, the late J. Haden Hankins and William Edwin Booth started the Amateur Photographers Club (APC) with George B. Fleming as the first president and Leslie Stansbury as secretary. Anyone having an interest in photography was eligible to join. Earlier, Stansbury had introduced Hankins, a printer and microscopist, and Booth, an artist who was star-gazing through a 26 inch focal length telescope with a 2-inch lens. They decided to combine their interests and started to study books on photography, which had been borrowed from the Richmond Public Library, in order to learn how to photograph the intricate designs produced in the skeletons of diatoms (microscopic plants found in ditch water). At first, meetings were held in the homes of the members on alternate Wednesday evenings. Once a month a professional photographer was selected to judge print competitions.
In April 1933, it was decided to add the services of an artist in order to balance the principles of pictorial photography with those of painting. In January 1934, Dr. E.H. Ingersoll was elected vice-president, the first one to serve in that capacity. In May, William S. Simpson took over as press agent from Booth and in June the Club began to meet in the YMCA building at 7th and East Grace Streets. We left there in July to meet in the new Richmond Academy of Arts, 1006 East Capitol Street, where a completely equipped studio for the use by our members was opened in December 1934. On October 3, 1935, Thomas C. Colt, director of the new Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, offered the club a meeting place. This offer was accepted and the Club was incorporated that year with a membership that topped 100! In 1936 the Virginia Museum wished to start a permanent collection of photographic works and requested that three medal prints from the Virginia Photographic Salon be donated. This was done, and with the addition of two more, the collection was five exhibition prints, one by S. Wary Selden, one by C. C. Cowen and three by W. Edwin Booth.
The Club had meeting rooms and a studio at John Slavin's, 118 North Third Street in October 1936, and that year in the month of December adopted a new constitution. 35mm Kodachrome film was introduced that year, and soon thereafter a color slide division was added to the competition. In July, Thomas C. Yeaman, assistant print director, took over the job of assembling a Traveling Club Print Exhibit. The CCR became an affiliate of the Photographic Society of America (PSA) in 1937. This year was marked by another move to a new studio at 14 South Seventh Street, where a darkroom was added in October. Under the direction of J.W.Lemay, the first CCR Photo School, with the Club paying a portion of the tuition, was started October 18, 1938.
In the years that followed, the Club established meeting places in such locations as the Board Room of the Bank of Virginia, 8th and East Main Streets, the Esso Building on West Broad Street, the AAA building on West Broad St, the C&P Telephone building on Nansemond Street, the Seaboard Coastline building on West Broad Street, the Fidelity Building, 9th and East Main Streets, and the Bank of Virginia Building, Vault Level Auditorium, 7 North Eight Street. In August of 2002, the CCR moved to the Bon Air Library at Rattlesnake Road off Buford Road. The Club met there until January 2005, when the meeting location was changed to the Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street, as it remained until 2013 when we moved to the Holiday Inn Crossroads.
After more than 80 years of service to our community, the Club's original aims continue to be dedicated to the furtherance of photographic knowledge and to the thesis that photography is indeed a fine art. The divisions of monochrome prints, color prints, and digital works carry on to enhance the joy of photography and to embrace the changes in the photographic world.
Source: Camera Club of Richmond History by Carole Hagaman
1.25 Linear Feet (5 cases; 117 items)
Language of Materials
The collection is comprised of over 100 mounted exhibition prints by members of the Camera Club of Richmond. Almost all of the prints were taken by Philip M. Luce, however there are several prints by William Edwin Booth (co-founder of the Club in 1932) and Vallie L. Booth.
The collection is organized into one series.
- Series 1
- Exhibition Prints, 1920-1972, undated
The collection was donated by Harold Lanna and Mary-Jacque Mann on behalf of the Camera Club of Richmond Camera Club in August 2015.
Prints remain in their original cases.
- Finding Aids to Special Collections in the VMFA Archives | Records of the Camera Club of Richmond
- Special Collection 22 (SC-22)
- Courtney Tkacz, VMFA Archivist; Finding aid encoded by Sylvio Lynch III, Archives Intern (2020)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Archives Repository
Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library
200 N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard
Richmond VA 23220-4007 United States