Pierre Sanchez Collection of Horace Vernet Graphic Works (SC-28)
Scope and Contents
The collection's inclusive dates are 1816-1996, with the bulk of the material dating from 1818-1824. The collection is comprised of unpublished volumes, prints, and a poster. One loose print is by Nicolas Toussaint Charlet, otherwise all of the prints are by Vernet.
- 1816-1838, 1996
- Sanchez, Pierre, 1963- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection is subject to all copyright laws. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright, beyond that allowed by fair use, requires the researcher to obtain permission of copyright holders.
Pierre Sanchez, born in 1963, is a French scholar who assembled hundreds of lithographs by Horace Vernet (1789-1863) between 1995 to 2006 in order to write the catalogue raissoné of Vernet's lithographic work. Drawing upon public and private collections, and completing the work of Louis-Maurice Bruzard (1826) and Henri Beraldi (1885-1891), the complete catalog presents the artist's 237 original lithographs, in various states of edition, as well as two etchings.
The son of famed painter Carle Vernet, and a friend and disciple of Theodore Géricault, Émile Jean-Horace Vernet was primarily known as a French painter of battles, soldiers, and commissioned portraits, working for both Louis-Philippe I and Napoléon Bonaparte. However, Horace and his father were among the first artists to experiment with lithography and market their images to printers. Regardless of Charles Baudelaire, Horace Vernet is much more "than a soldier who does painting," and his lithographs showcase his pioneering talent.
(The above information was taken from Dessin Original and Horace Vernet.)
0.5 Linear Feet (13 items (4 volumes, 7 prints, 1 poster, and 1 letter))
Language of Materials
The collection was assembled by the French scholar Pierre Sanchez, who collected hundreds of lithographs by Horace Vernet (1789-1863) to write the catalogue raissoné of Vernet's lithographic work. The largest privately owned collection of Vernet's graphic works, the collection is comprised of three unpublished volumes of over 300 works, as well as eight loose prints, one poster, and one letter.
The collection is organized into three series, and items are arranged chronologically within each series.
- Series 1
- Prints, 1816-1838
- Series 2
- Posters, 1996
- Series 3
- Correspondence, undated
Originally collected by Pierre Sanchez, this was the largest privately owned collection of Horace Vernet's graphic works. VMFA purchased it from Alan Wofsy Fine Arts LLC in June 2017.
Related Materials - VMFA Library: Pierre Sanchez Collection
- Quelques idées sur les troupes a cheval de France, et principalement sur la cavalerie légère / par R. de Bourge (1817)
- Sylla: tragédie en cinq actes / par E. Jouy (1822)
- Catalogue de l'oeuvre lithographique de Mr. J.E. Horace Vernet (1826)
Related Materials - VMFA Library: Catalogs
- Horace Vernet: dessinateur lithographe, 1816-1838: catalogue raisonné de l'œuvre lithographié (2016)
- Horace Vernet: incroyables et merveilleuses: Paris, 1810-1818 (1955)
- Catalogue des tableaux anciens des écoles primitives et de la Renaissance et des écoles flamande, française, hollandaise et italienne des XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles (1911)
- Les Vernet: Joseph, Carle, Horace (1898)
Related Materials - VMFA Library: Artist File
- Artist File: Horace Vernet
- Finding Aids to Special Collections in the VMFA Archives | Pierre Sanchez Collection of Horace Vernet Graphic Works
- Special Collection 28 (SC-28)
- Courtney Yevich Tkacz, VMFA Archivist
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Archives Repository
Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library
200 N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard
Richmond VA 23220-4007 United States