Records of the Aaron Siskind Foundation (SC-38)
Scope and Contents
The collection documents the activities of the Aaron Siskind Foundation during its years of operation, from 1984 to 2020, and includes copies of Aaron Siskind’s written works from the Center for Creative Photography and several original photographs by Siskind. Works in the collection include information on the organization's founding, bylaws, and art management, among other topics of interest. The collection's inclusive dates are 1920 to 2020. This collection contains articles, contact sheets, contracts, correspondence, media, photographs, printed materials, and reports.
- Creation: 1920-2020
- Aaron Siskind Foundation (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection is subject to all copyright laws. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright, beyond that allowed by fair use, requires the researcher to obtain permission of copyright holders.
Aaron Siskind directed that his estate become a resource that would support contemporary photography and reward and encourage excellence in its practitioners. Since his death in 1991, the Aaron Siskind Foundation provided cash grants to individual photographic artists on a yearly basis until disbanding in 2020. In addition, the Foundation worked to preserve and protect Siskind's artistic legacy, and fostered knowledge of and appreciation for his art through new books, exhibits, educational events and scholarly research.
Source: Aaron Siskind Foundation collection by the Center for Creative Photography at The University of Arizona
1.5 Linear Feet (4 boxes; 16 folders)
Language of Materials
The collection documents the activities of the Aaron Siskind Foundation during its years of operation, from 1984 to 2020. Aaron Siskind directed that his estate become a resource that would support contemporary photography and reward and encourage excellence in its practitioners. Since his death in 1991, the Aaron Siskind Foundation provided cash grants to individual photographic artists on a yearly basis until disbanding in 2020.
The collection is organized into 2 series, and items are generally arranged chronologically within each series. Items with no date are generally placed at the end of each series.
- Series 1
- Aaron Siskind, 1920-2020
- Series 2
- Aaron Siskind Foundation, 1983-2019
The collection was transferred from the Registration and Curatorial departments as materials were discovered from 2020-2022.
Existence and Location of Originals
Originals of photocopied print materials are located at the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona.
Related Materials - VMFA Library: Catalogs
- Aaron Siskind : mid-century modern First edition
- Aaron Siskind : another photographic reality First edition.
- Aaron Siskind
- Aaron Siskind and Louis Sullivan : the Institute of Design Photo Section Project 1st ed.
- Aaron Siskind : order with the tensions continuing
- Interior drama : Aaron Siskind's photographs of the 1940s
- Aaron Siskind 100 1st ed.
- Aaron Siskind : the fragmentation of language
- Aaron Siskind : toward a personal vision 1935-1955
- Harlem photographs, 1932-1940
- Bucks County : photographs of early architecture
Related Materials - VMFA Library: Exhibition Files
- Exhibition file : Aaron Siskind and abstract photography of the 1950s and 60s : miscellaneous uncataloged material
- Exhibition file : Photographs by Aaron Siskind : miscellaneous uncataloged material
Related Materials - VMFA Library: Artist File
- Artist file : miscellaneous uncataloged material
The Records of the Aaron Siskind Foundation (SC-38) represent part of the signifiant 2020 gift of over 8,000 photographs donated by the Foundation to VMFA. For further details on this gift, please refer to the museum's press release.
Original folder titles were retained when provided.
- Finding Aids to the Special Collections in the VMFA Archives | Records of the Aaron Siskind Foundation
- Special Collection 38 (SC-38)
- Emily Johnson, Assistant Archivist
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Archives Repository
Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library
200 N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard
Richmond VA 23220-4007 United States