Scope and Contents
The collection's inclusive dates are 1936-2020. The collection is comprised of published catalogs, and accretions are made continually as new materials are published or copies of older catalogs are discovered.
- Creation: 1936-2020
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (Organization)
The collection is open for research.
The collection is subject to all copyright laws. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright, beyond that allowed by fair use, requires the researcher to obtain permission of copyright holders.
63.25 Linear Feet (2,452 items)
Language of Materials
The collection is part of the Publications Archive, and is comprised of archival copies of all catalogs published by the museum, as well as catalogs for exhibitions that were shown at the museum, but produced by other institutions. Other catalogs highlight particular aspects of the museum's permanent collection.
The collection is organized into two series, and items are arranged chronologically within each series.
- Series 1
- Exhibition Catalogs, 1936-2017
- Series 2
- Other Catalogs, 1938-2018
The collection was transferred from the Library. Accretions are added regularly when new materials are published.
Related Materials - VMFA Library
- Copies of most catalogs are also available in the main Library collection or in the exhibition vertical files.
The archives strives to retain a minimum of 5 copies of VMFA produced catalogs, 3 copies of catalogs produced outside the museum, and 1 copy of foreign language versions of catalogs. In many cases, additional copies are located in the main Library collection or in the exhibition vertical files.
- Finding Aids to the Institutional Records of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in the VMFA Archives | Catalogs
- Publications Archive 01 (PB-01)
- Courtney Yevich Tkacz, VMFA Archivist
- March 2016 (n.b. inventory continually updated)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Archives Repository
Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library
200 N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard
Richmond VA 23220-4007 United States