Showing Collections: 1 - 30 of 79
The collection documents the activities of the Aaron Siskind Foundation during its years of operation, from 1984 to 2020. Aaron Siskind directed that his estate become a resource that would support contemporary photography and reward and encourage excellence in its practitioners. Since his death in 1991, the Aaron Siskind Foundation provided cash grants to individual photographic artists on a yearly basis until disbanding in 2020.
The collection is part of the Publications Archive, and is comprised of archival copies of all Annual Reports published by the museum since 1936. Issued by the Director's Office, these reports cover every aspect of the museum's activities over the course of a given year, including acquisitions, exhibitions, programs, staffing, donations, etc. The collection also contains archival copies of the Honor Roll of Contributors, which is published by the museum at irregular intervals.
The collection is part of the Publications Archive, and is comprised of archival copies of all Bulletins / Calendars / VMFA Magazines published by the museum since 1940. The publishing frequncy has changed many times (monthly, quarterly, bi-monthly) and the title changed three times, but the publication has always served to document the daily activities at the museum, including exhibitions, tours, programs, lectures, and more.
The collection is comprised of over 100 mounted exhibition prints by members of the Camera Club of Richmond. Almost all of the prints were taken by Philip M. Luce, however there are several prints by William Edwin Booth (co-founder of the Club in 1932) and Vallie L. Booth.
The collection is part of the Publications Archive, and is comprised of archival copies of all catalogs published by the museum, as well as catalogs for exhibitions that were shown at the museum, but produced by other institutions. Other catalogs highlight particular aspects of the museum's permanent collection.
The collection is part of the Publications Archive, and is comprised of archival copies of collateral and numerous other types of publications created by the museum, including theater programs, gallery guides, statewide services catalogs, marketing reports, and Council publications.
The collection’s inclusive dates are 1936-2012, with the bulk of the material dating from 1979-2004. The collection is comprised of correspondence, exhibition schedules, budgets, grant applications, photographs, object lists, notes, collection statements, planning documents, project files, policies, loan arrangements and decisions, and other materials.
The collection was artifically created in order to bring together records about the Fischer collection residing in multiple collections in the VMFA Archives, as well as in the museum's records at the Library of Virginia. As such, the collection is entirely comprised of photocopies of records from the 1960s to the 2010s. To date, the museum has not located a collection of contemporaneous Fischer family records within its collections.
The collection documents the relationship between the equestrian artist Alvan Fisher and one of his patrons, New York lawyer and horse breeder Charles Henry Hall. The letters discuss the likenesses of the horses Fisher painted, as well as upcoming races, and the noted 19th century racehorse American Eclipse.
The collection documents the life of William "Bill" Robert Gaines, artist and long-time program director at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. The collection is comprised of a partial manuscript of his autobiography as well as photographs, clippings, and other documents related to his career at the museum.
- Art, American -- Virginia -- 20th century 3
- Fund raising -- Virginia 3
- Photography, Artistic 3
- Photography, Artistic -- Exhibitions 3
- Richmond (Va.) 3
- Art -- Virginia -- Richmond -- History 2
- Artists -- Virginia 2
- Museums -- Marketing 2
- Museums -- Membership 2
- Photographers -- Virginia 2
- Photography--History--20th century 2
- Photography--History--21st century 2
- African American folk art 1
- African American photographers 1
- Alaskan Engineering Commission 1
- American Eclipse (Race horse), 1814-1847 1
- Art -- Private collections -- Germany 1
- Art -- Private collections -- Virginia -- Richmond 1
- Art -- Virginia -- Periodicals 1
- Art -- Virginia -- Richmond -- Exhibition techniques -- History 1 + ∧ less
- English 75
- French 2
- Danish 1
- Latin 1
- North American Indian languages 1
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts 13
- Cheek, Leslie, 1908- 2
- Draper, Louis H., 1935-2002 2
- Fabergé (Firm) 2
- Fabergé, Peter Carl, 1846-1920 2
- Kamoinge Inc. 2
- Payne, John Barton, 1855-1935 2
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Marketing and Communications 2
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Council 2
- A La Vieille Russie (Firm) 1
- Aaron Siskind Foundation 1
- Academy of Sciences and Fine Arts 1
- Agelasto, Michael Alexander, 1869-1949 1
- Alan Wofsy Fine Arts 1
- Alderman, Edwin Anderson, 1861-1931 1
- Art Club of Richmond 1
- Arts Council of Richmond 1
- Bayliss, W. M. F. (William Murray Forbes), 1896- 1
- Belmont, the Gari Melchers Memorial Gallery 1
- Branch, Blythe 1 + ∧ less